Saturday, February 21, 2009

Commonalities of Believers

Tonight, I preached at the South Mississippi Correctional Facility. I've been preaching there on the third Saturday of each month for about two years. I really look forward to preaching in the prison each month.

Tonight I preached from Acts 2:40-47. In this passage the early church displayed six commonalities.

1. A Common Baptism (40-41)
2. A Common Belief (42)
3. A Common Bewilderment (43)
4. A Common Burden (44-45)
5. A Common Behavior (46-47a)
6. A Common Blessing (47b)


The unity the early church displayed was an answer to the the prayer Jesus voiced shortly before he died. He prayed, “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me (John 17:20-21)."

So, the unity that the early Christians exemplified showed the non-believers around them that Jesus was alive and changing lives. May FBC hold in common those eternal values and demonstrate love for Jesus through lives of faith.

0 comments:

Sermons