Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Worship the Unseen

This morning I left Leakesville at 5:00 AM to pray with one of our members at a hospital in Mobile, AL. Since I was traveling before sunrise, I was able to enjoy viewing the moon that was shining brightly. It was beautiful and awe inspiring.

When I returned to my office, I did a Biblegateway keyword search for scriptures referring to the moon. I discovered the following scripture that led me to think about worship.

And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the LORD your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage (Deuteronomy 4:19, NKJV).

Down through many centuries, there has been a tendency for humans to "worship" and "serve" God's creation instead of the Creator. The scriptures warn against this. However, unmistakably, we are driven to worship.

In the Old Testament, serving God and worshipping him are used interchangeably. We serve who we worship. Also, we could say we become enslaved to what we love. So, if we are not careful, we can place more stock in what we see, instead of worshipping God, who is unseen. However, the Christian life is to be lived in faith, in the realm of the unseen.

The writer of Hebrews stated, By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible (Hebrews 11:3, NKJV).

God gave us a beautiful world to enjoy. His creation is evidence of His power. My prayer is that I would resist the temptation to worship "things." There is no substitute for God.

0 comments:

Sermons