Thursday, March 05, 2009

A Medical Marvel

My brother-in-law has been dealing with seizures for several months. This has been incredibly difficult for him and his family, since he has been unable to work.

Friday of last week, a major section of his skull was removed in order to place wires that would monitor his brain activity over the weekend. Then, he was admitted into a Seizure Monitoring Unit. Since he was not given his regular medication, he experienced increased seizure activity which gave the medical team the ability to pinpoint the problem area in the brain.

On Monday, a team of 10 doctors concurred that brain surgery could be done that would permanently stop the seizures. So, they removed a quarter of the right frontal lobe. The surgery was completed around 8:00 PM on Monday. The doctors informed the family they were certain that the surgery performed would completely stop the seizures.

Tuesday evening, since I had not heard an update on my brother-in-law since Monday Night, I called his home to talk to my parents who have been staying with my nephew and niece. Guess who answered the phone less than 24 hours after having brain surgery...my brother-in-law!

He sounded just as strong as ever. He joked, laughed, and thanked me for my prayers. Now, I was shocked. How can they remove a portion of your brain and, then, allow you to walk out of the hospital in such a short time?

The only thing I can say is the Psalmist was correct when he declared, "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well (139:14, KJV)."

0 comments:

Sermons