Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Confirmed: The Scripture Does Say "Rejoicing"

For whatever reason, I waited way too long to get new glasses. Any of you who know me have certainly noticed that I was due a new pair.

Unfortunately, I have had a difficult time reading from my Bible from the pulpit. Usually, I type the passage in much larger print on a separate piece of paper in order to be able to read the selected verses without difficulty.


This past Saturday, I went for an eye exam and purchased new glasses. My fears were realized. I need bifocals. Now that I am wearing the "progressive" lens prescribed, I wonder why I put off getting them for almost 8 years. I can see!

Sunday, I did not have my new glasses. So, when I read verse 41 of Acts 5, I shared with the congregation that my bad eyesight must have been deceiving me. Because, in verse 41, the scripture reports that, after Peter and John were beaten, they left "rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name." I informed the congregation that I must have been seeing the words incorrectly. While I preached the truth as I seemed to be reading it, I promised to confirm the reading of the passage upon receiving my new glasses.

Consequently, I must report that, via my new spectacles, Luke did write that the disciples were rejoicing after they were beaten. What a sobering verse!

As we have been studying "ACTS" for the last several weeks, I am humbled by the boldness and humility and love and generosity of the early church. I can't help but compare the faith of the modern American Church to the commitment of the early believers. In many aspects, the church in Acts is very dissimilar to what we call church today.

Peter and John were "rejoicing" that they were beaten because they were able to relate in some small way to the sufferings of Jesus.

Compare this to what is seen in many churches. Instead of rejoicing in being abused for speaking the name of Jesus, many complain that the sanctuary is too cold or too hot. Instead of rejoicing that we suffer for taking a stand for Christ, many complain that the song service or sermon or offertory prayer is too long. In this age of padded pews and multimedia excitement, where's the obedience that is characterized by sacrifice.

Paul wrote, For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ (2 Corinthians 1:5 5, New Living Translation).

Unfortunately, the more we value our comfort, the less we receive the comfort of Christ.

As I meditate on His Word, am I hearing God correctly ? Maybe I should get my hearing checked.

0 comments:

Sermons