Monday, July 06, 2009

Knowing God


Once at a men’s retreat I attended, all of the guys present were asked to take a vow of silence from the time we arrived in our rooms for the evening until Breakfast the next morning. This created a great crisis within me. Since I had only briefly introduced myself to my roommate, I struggled with the fact that I was unable to completely identify myself. My vocation, level of education, favorite sports teams, hometown, marital status, family, and superior sense of humor were all unknown to him. If I couldn't use words, how would he ever know what a blessing it was for him to be rooming with me? This exercise helped me understand, sadly, that my worth tends to be wrapped up in many things that are not important.

Jeremiah, the “weeping prophet,” was devastated by the casual and careless attitude his people displayed toward God. They, too, found their identity in the temporary things instead of in the Eternal God. His people were happy to substitute empty rituals and self-worship for a true relationship with God. They were proud of their wisdom, physical strength and wealth.

With passion, Jeremiah told the people of his day not to treasure anything but their relationship with God (Read Jeremiah 9:23-24). We are to only “glory” in understanding and knowing God. This intimate knowledge of God can only come from the time we spend in prayer and studying the Bible. There are no shortcuts.

For me, this guides me to remember, if I am given the opportunity to talk about what really matters to me, I need to focus on the blessing of relating to the loving, just, and righteous God. Many years after Jeremiah shed tears, Jesus came to earth and put into practice the attributes of God. Ultimately, he demonstrated the love, justice, and righteousness of God by dying on the cross and walking out of the tomb.

Paul had a great understanding of this truth (Read Philippians 3:7-11). The apostle considered all things worthless that did not help him know Jesus “and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.”

Does the resurrection power of Jesus define you?

0 comments:

Sermons