Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Last and the First

The Last Day as Pastor

Well, the last few days have been very emotional. My last Sunday at FBC Leakesville will be forever treasured. In the morning service, I felt so much more comfortable preaching than I thought I would. However, at times, I had to fight back tears. The people of FBC have been so loving and supportive of my family and me that I doubt I will ever feel as loved by a congregation as I have by them.

In the evening, I baptized 4 girls. One of the girls was the daughter of Vander Highsmith, who we ordained in the same service. I baptized Vander a few years ago. What a blessing to have baptized a man who is now serving as a deacon.

The church provided a beautiful and delicious reception for our family following the evening service. We are humbled by the love we have been shown. We will continue to live in the parsonage of FBC Leakesville until the house being built for us is completed.

We will deeply miss serving with Mike and Selina Smith, and Boo and Missy White.

The First Day as Director of Missions

Today was a rewarding day. The ladies who work in the office here at the Jackson County Baptist Association (JCBA) are good at what they do. They have helped me keep my head above water.

I met Reuben Ramirez who is a Hispanic Church Planter here on the coast. I'll spend some more time with him tomorrow discussing his ministry. Ernie Sadler, longtime Director of JCBA, will be here tomorrow as well.

Had the honor of meeting a pastor from Ghana. He has helped start many churches in that African Country. What a joy to meet men who has made great sacrifices to serve the Lord. He said his congregation numbers around 400. Some of his members walk barefooted for more than three miles to come to church. In the parking lot of his church in which 400 folks are worshipping is, at the most, 8 cars. He has been amazed to see 75 cars in a parking lot of a church in which about 100 are worshipping. We are so blessed in this country. He asked me to pray for a young pastor who is seeking to reach his people for Christ.

Later in the afternoon, I met with Don Gann to discuss the Disaster Relief Ministry that Mississippi Baptist offer. Don is a consultant in the Men's Ministry Department of the Mississippi Baptist Convention. I have known Don for almost 30 years. We worked together at Central Hills Baptist Retreat in Kosciusko, MS. He was a great help in giving me a crash course on the process of responding in the aftermath of a hurricane.

There is a lot more to learn, but I am excited about the challenges ahead.

0 comments:

Sermons