Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Ministry of Presence

Yesterday afternoon, during a severe thunderstorm, a friend called from an Emergency Room in Hattiesburg. He needed some help in contacting someone. His mother, who has battled Alzheimer’s disease for several years, was transferred from a nursing home to the ER. I asked, “How is she doing?” He said, “She is dying.”

I made the contact requested. Then, I shared the situation with my wife and got in the car to go be with my friend. Fortunately, the weather was not as bad as the yellow and red radar images on Weather.com had indicated. So, I made it to the hospital with no problem.

Walking into the ER, my friend was surprised. His first response was “You didn’t have to come.” All I could say was “I wanted to let you know I was thinking about you. I am praying for you.” After learning that his mother had improved slightly, I had a prayer for her and with him.

For me, I could not stand the thought of my friend being alone. I am glad I went.

While in Clinical Pastoral Education in New Orleans, I was first exposed to the term “Ministry of Presence.” Simply, just being a compassionate presence for a person in crisis is real ministry. We all feel pressure to say something when we are in contact with a distraught person, but, many times, nothing can be said that is of great comfort. Of course, we remind them that God is present. God cares. Yet, just “being there” is a real comfort.

Casting Crowns has a song that reminds me of the proper response to troubled individuals:

Just love them like Jesus, carry them to Him
His yoke is easy, His burden is light
You don’t need the answers to all of life’s questions
Just know that He loves them and stay by their side
Love them like Jesus
Love them like Jesus

I pray that my presence as a minister reminds hurting people that God is present. That’s all I bring.

In the latter part of Hebrews 13:5, the writer stated, "For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'” What a great truth. However, the context of the verse is important. The words prior to this great promise are “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have.”

We have to rest in the knowledge that as Christians that Jesus will not leave us. Possessions can be blown out to sea. Money can be lost overnight. However, Jesus will not leave.

As John wrote in I John 3:18, “...let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.”

Be the presence of Christ today.

0 comments:

Sermons