Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sad in Baltimore

A Sad Day

Yesterday, Jimmy Holcomb and I arrived boarded a plane in Jackson, MS to fly, “non-stop,” to Baltimore. After exiting the plane, I received an emergency message to call home. Unfortunately, the organist at our church found one of her sons dead in his bedroom. This is devastating for anyone.

While I regretted not being there for her, I was blessed to know many of the members of our church, including my wonderful wife, were surrounding the grieving family with love. Boo White, the Minister of Youth at our church, called me last night and shared what he had been doing to support the family. Mike Smith, our Minister of Music, visited the family last night. I am blessed with a caring church.

I return to Mississippi tonight.

Baltimore Missions Trip Prep

Here In Baltimore, we are having preparatory meetings for our mission trip to this city in July. Last year, fifteen men offered Christian Baseball Camps to kids in Baltimore and Catonsville.
Lyn O’Berry is the pastor of The Church on Warren Avenue, which is in the Federal Hill District near Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. The church is comprised of elderly folks and they have decided to take some aggressive steps to be influential in the community. Pastor O’Berry is very passionate about his ministry and has some incredibly innovative and creative ideas. Bro. Jimmy and I were overwhelmed by all the info he shared with us.

Bob Mackey is the Director of Missions for the Baltimore Area. We met with him yesterday. He is passionate about reaching the city for Christ. Also, he was able to give some great tips for organizing and performing a mission trip. Currently, Bob and his wife are living in a one-room apartment. His daughter is enrolled in Union University, which was devastated by a tornado last week. So, she is home with them now. I admire his commitment.

0 comments:

Sermons