Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Evangelism Conference

Each year, I make attending the Mississippi Baptist Evangelism Conference a priority. I have always been blessed by the preaching and the "Breakout Sessions." Also, my dad usually goes with me. We have a great time together.

Sunday Night, I drove to Magee and spent the night at my parents' home. Dad and I drove to FBC Clinton yesterday morning for this year's conference. The volunteers who welcomed folks to the conference did an incredible job. Their pastor should be proud.

Richard Blackaby and Mike Catt spoke in the morning service. Both did a great job. Mike Catt is from Pascagoula, MS. My grandmother "babysat" him when he was a child. She's 90 now and very pleased by the way God has used him.

Ed Stetzer spoke in the afternoon session. He distributed an 50+ page excerpt from his latest book Lost and Found: The Younger Unchurched and the Churches that Reach Them .

Frank Cox led an afternoon session on "Extending and Evangelistic Invitation." My dad and I agreed that his presentation was the best we have ever heard. I gleaned some good ideas.

Twenty-Six Years Ago

I began serving my first church in November 1982 as Minister of Music. The following January, my pastor, Edwin Pendergrast, invited me to go with him to the State Evangelism Conference, which was being held in Columbus, MS. While I don't remember the names of any of the men who preached that night, I do remember the blessing of hearing men share a burden for reaching people for Christ.

This year I didn't hear any new jokes, but I was refreshed and challenged. Please pray with me that FBC Leakesville would intentionally seek to make an impact for Christ upon our community.

0 comments:

Sermons