Thursday, August 21, 2008

God Has Nothing to Prove

Last night in our Mid-Week service we examined Malachi 1:1-14.

This passage amazes me each time I read it, because in these verses God expresses His love, faithfulness, purity, and sovereignty. In response, the people question his basic character and worthiness of the appropriate sacrifices. After all God had done for His people, they still wanted Him to prove His love for them.

The actions of the Israelites reminds me of my own ingratitude, not only to God, but to my parents.

While in the 8th grade, I experienced bilateral knee surgeries. After the procedures, the medical staff required me to stand in order to begin recovery. However, the pain was almost unbearable. So, I was rather hesitant to cooperate with the physical therapists. At one time, my mother said, "Philip, you are going to have to take a step." In response to her words, I looked at her and said through clenched teeth, "I wish you had my legs!"

As soon as I said those words, I saw my mother's countenance fall. Normally, I would have never said something so hateful or disrespectful. Also, usually my mother would have never allowed me to speak to her in that manner.

Since that day, I have apologized to my mother probably 20-30 times. My mother had spent the night with my in the hospital. She had slept in her clothes in a most uncomfortable chair. Mom and Dad had made sacrifices to pay for the surgery. In response to their love and care, I had nothing but words of disdain.

My parents probably felt a little like God, who had faithfully loved His people and they showed no understanding or appreciation.

Sanctimonious Actions
Malachi 1:1-14

I. They Discounted God’s Love (1-5).

“I have loved you,” says the LORD. “ Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’

II. They Despised God’s Name (6)

III. They Defiled God’s Altar (7-8)

IV. They Disregarded God’s Demands (9-10)

V. They Denied God’s Sovereignty (11-14)


CONCLUSION

God has already done enough to prove that he is worthy of our dedication and honor. So, don't adopt a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?" attitude. God has nothing to prove. Just look at the cross and the empty tomb.

0 comments:

Sermons