Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Crucifixion of Jesus

While today was Palm Sunday, I decided to focus on the moments Matthew recorded just prior and at the outset of the crcifixion of Jesus.

We examined Matthew 27:27-44. This was my outline.

I. The Hideous Jokes (vv.27-31)

A. Clothing (vv.27-28)

B. Crown and Cane (v.29a)

C. Condescension (v.29b-31)

II. The Horrible Journey (vv.32-35a)

A. Coercion (vv.32-33)

B. Concoction (v.34)

C. Crucifixion (35a)

The Roman had experimented with various forms of execution, but they felt they had discovered the ultimate means to put someone to death. Crucifixion was a death that was 1) painful, 2) shameful, and 3) gradual.

III. The Hateful Judgments (vv.35b-44)

A. Competitions (v.35b)

I once heard Max Lucado refer to the fact that “men were playing games at the foot of the cross.” What a shame. They were oblivious to what was really happening there. Even today people play games under the shadow of the cross. I came up with at least four types of games people play in the shadow of the cross.

1. The game of things. “He who dies with the most toys wins.”
2. The game of talents. “I’ve got what it takes. I’m a one man show, a self-made man.”
3. The game of time. “When I get myself together or things slow down, I’ll commit my life to Jesus.”
4. The game of tradition (“Churchianity”). “I’m a churchgoer and my family has gone to church for years.”

B. Contempt (vv.36-40)

C. Criticism (vv.41-44)

0 comments:

Sermons