Friday, March 14, 2008

The Top Fears of Men

During some rare web-surfing-for-fun tonight, I came across an article featured on Yahoo! claiming to list the Top Six fears of men. The writer, David Zinczenko, is from Men’s Health Magazine. He listed the leading fears as the following (the two word summary statements are mine). Zinczenko did not mention he had based his list on any research. So, I’m not sure how valid these are.

1. Hair Loss: That He's Going to Lose His Hair
2. Financial Loss: That He's Going Broke
3. Heart Attack: That He'll Have One Cheeseburger Too Many
4. Unexpected Criticism: That He'll be Called Out in Public
5. Disappointed Child: That His Kid Won't Make the Free Throw
6. Sexual Dysfunction: That He'll Fail to Perform

Regarding #1 and #2, losing my hair and going broke are not big deals for me. My hair is already thinning and, if I was concerned about a large bank roll, I would not be a preacher.

Concerning #3, to be honest, I do think about the possibility of a heart attack, because I have repeatedly comforted families who lost a husband or father to a sudden fatal cardiac event.

As far as #4, the criticism thing is certainly uncomfortable and I don’t like being shamed, but I am usually able to let things slide.

In regard to #5, I do hate to see my child fail and, with our first T-Ball game fast approaching, I am a little nervous for my son’s experience on the diamond. I pray I don’t try to live vicariously through my son.

Finally, being transparent, #6 is a real concern for all men. There’s a difference between being 18 and 43. However, I grow deeper in love with my wife every day and I am thankful for our relationship.

Control the Controllables

I will never forget the day when a friend of mine named Tony told me to stop worrying about things out of my control. He used the term “control the controllables.” When I stopped trying to control people, I was freed. I can’t make anyone do anything. I can’t stop my hair from falling out. However, with God’s help I can lose weight and eat a healthy diet. I can nourish myself spiritually.

Recorded in Hebrews 13:6, The Bible says, So we may boldly say: “ The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?

Today, what is your greatest fear? Can you do anything about it? What would Jesus do? Turn to the Lord for help. Don’t fear men. However, fear not being in a right relationship with God.

Any comments? Would you add any fears to this list?

0 comments:

Sermons