Sunday, March 23, 2008

Resurrection Sunday

We had a great day at First Baptist. One of my deacon's said he counted 184 in the morning worship service, which is the most I believe we have had in the 28 months I have been pastor here. Our worship center will only hold around 210. So, the attendance was a blessing.

The choir was "filled to the rim" and the three songs they shared each had powerful messages. The final song was "I Stand Redeemed." We are blessed to have Mike Smith as our Minister of Music. I do not know of a more dedicated bivocational Minister of Music in the state.

My sermon was based on the two disciples that traveled the Emmaus Road following the death and resurrection of Jesus. Read the account recorded in Luke 24:13-35 here.

The men on the road to Emmaus experienced a journey, which began in sadness and ended in hope.

I. Sad Journey (vv.13-17)
II. Confusing Journey (vv.18-24)
III. Challenging Journey (vv.25-27)
IV. Revealing Journey (vv.28-31)
V. Hopeful Journey (vv.32-35)

Through the power of the resurrection, God transforms our spiritual journeys from restless striving to be "good enough" into a relationship based on His unmerited favor.

0 comments:

Sermons