Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Bozemans

The chairman of my Doctoral Committee at New Orleans Seminary was Jeanine Bozeman. This past Monday her husband, Dr. Welby Bozeman, died unexpectedly. Yesterday, at 4:00 PM, the visitation began at First Baptist Covington, LA. Since the funeral is scheduled for Friday in Dozier, AL (about 170 miles from here), I decided to leave at 1:30 PM yesterday afternoon. Bro. Jimmy Holcomb offered to lead a Bible Study for our Mid-Week service. While I made the 288 mile round-trip without a problem and was able to arrive just a few minutes before 7:00 PM, I was so glad Bro. Jimmy did the devotion for me. He did a great job.

Dr. Welby Bozeman was a long-time professor at Louisiana College in Pineville. He had been married to Dr. Jeanine Bozeman for 47 years. Terri and I were blessed to be special guests at their 40th Wedding Anniversary back in 2000. Also, when Terri and I lived in Alaska, the Bozemans visited us and we enjoyed giving them a tour of Anchorage.

Jeanine Bozeman is one of those persons that I could never do enough to repay for all she has invested in my life. She went way beyond the call of duty in pushing and kicking me through the Ph.D. program at NOBTS. She did the premarital counseling for Terri and I. Frequently, I bring to mind some of the things she told us in those sessions.

During the 2005 Fall Semester that I completed my dissertation and graduated, Hurricane Katrina devastated the seminary in August. Dr. Bozeman's townhouse, which was on campus, flooded. While all of the other colleges in New Orleans cancelled their semesters, New Orleans Seminary resumed classes in October.

Amidst this incredibly emotional time, Dr. Bozeman stayed committed to helping me finish my dissertation. Since the seminary campus was closed for several months, I visited her home in Covington to discuss my research. Once she carried me into her garage and showed me the belongings she had retrieved from her place in New Orleans. That was a sad sight. She never tried to hide her struggle. Dr. Bozeman has always been "real." She is genuine.

So, I had to go and let her know I love her. While I saw her for only 2 minutes, I was able to express my love for her and my appreciation for Dr. Welby. I cried. She cried. We hugged. I'm glad I went. True friends are rare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Philip,

Thanks for allowing me to share last night. You are right true friends are rare, and I am grateful you got to go, and I am also grateful that you are one of those friends to me.
Jimmy

Mark Williams said...

I had Dr. Bozeman for a class at NOBTS. She is the definition of class and godliness. She has a dignity about her, yet very approachable. I'll be praying for them.

Buddy McDaniel said...

7 eelyiraDr. Bozeman was a long time pastor at Chalmette Baptist Church. He married my first wife and me. Knew, loved and respected him and Jeanine. I helped him move to Pineville and kind of lost touch. I am very saddened by his passing. He was truly a great man.

Sermons