Monday, March 17, 2008

Sunday Morning Phone Call

Yesterday morning at 7:15 AM, a friend of mine, who lives several miles away, called with some disturbing news. His teenage son who was out with some friend had taken “some pills” and, inadvertently, almost overdosed. The boy was taken to a hospital. The father, who called me, had been up all night with his boy. His voice was shaky and each word spoken was strained. His heart was broken and filled with confusion and guilt and anger and…love.

He said, “I let this happen right under my nose. How did I miss this?” As I expressed love over the phone, the best I could, he said, “I’m going to get him some help. He hates me right now, but I’ve got to do something.” That’s the way love talks.

Jesus Cried for Jerusalem

On the Monday before he was crucified, Luke records that Jesus looked over the “Holy City” and cried. He wept because he knew the city would be destroyed by Romans, who would not “leave one stone on another.” Jesus prophesied, with great remorse, the reason the city would be leveled. The people did not “recognize the time of God’s coming.” (Read Luke 19:41-44 here.)

This prediction would come true. In A.D. 66, the Jews revolted against the Romans. Titus was sent by Rome to squash the rebellion. Roman soldiers attacked the city, encircled it, and held it in siege. Then, after the inhabitants of Jerusalem were near starvation, in A.D. 70, soldiers entered the city and burned it. Historians estimate 600,000 Jews were killed during this assault.

Again, this occurred because they didn’t recognize that Jesus was God in flesh. He came with his arms outstretched, willing to show love to anyone, but, instead of opening their hearts to him, they rejected Him. This broke the heart of Christ. So, he cried.

Why do people so often respond to love with hate? Why do the ways of God, which were demonstrated by Jesus, incite scorn and despicable actions? Of course, the bottom line is the sinful nature of man.

I don’t sit as one who has never rejected God’s love. At times, I go my own way and I know better.

So, as we begin this Monday before Resurrection Sunday, let us “recognize the time of God’s coming.” May we never forget the pain Jesus experienced not only physically, but, spiritually and emotionally, as he drew closer to the crucifixion.

0 comments:

Sermons