Thursday, June 26, 2008

Disillusioned by Panther Hoax


Yesterday, I received an email from a friend containing this picture of a 260 pound panther, which was, alledgedly, hit by a vehicle here in Greene County. The email mentioned the name of the individual who supposedly hit the big cat. Also, the email included the name of a man who reported seeing the dead animal at a local taxidermy studio.

This report was incredibly frightening. A wildcat this large could easily kill unsuspecting hunters (and pastors). So, I contacted a game warden and shared the photo with him. He informed me this was a hoax, because he had seen the same photos attached to a claim that the panther was killed in Amite County, Mississippi. He beleives this is a photo of a mountain lion killed in the West.

After hearing from the game warden, I did an image search and found a website that posted the picture, along with claiming the cat was killed in Amite County. The text of the email I received was almost word for word in similarity to the explanation on the website I discovered. However, the names had been changed.

Consequently, I have made a crucial discovery. Not everything on the internet is true. I feel myself plummetting into a sea of depression and despair. My fragile world has been shattered.

0 comments:

Sermons