Monday, June 30, 2008

Prayer is Acknowledgment

As we continue to examine prayer, by following the acrostic P.R.A.Y.E.R., let’s summarize six important aspects of prayer: Prayer is Personal, Required, Acknowledgment, Yearning, Effective, and Responsive.

Prayer is Acknowledgment.

Prayer is the way we acknowledge that God is God and we are not. Prayer is how we place our faith in God and not in our own strength. When Jesus gave us the model prayer in the Sermon on the Mount he said,

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. (Matthew 6:9-10)

In prayer,
1) We acknowledge that the Holy God is King of the Universe sitting on his throne in heaven.
2) We acknowledge and submit to his rule by asking his Kingdom to be in control.
3) We acknowledge that we want his will to be done and not ours.

Biblical Illustrations

• Jesus acknowledged the importance of the will of God.

Matthew 26:39: He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.

• Mary acknowledged God’s will for her life.

Luke 1:38: Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

Actions that Acknowledge God’s Rule in Your Life

James 4:7-10: Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

7 key actions underscored in James 4:7-10
1) Submit
2) Resist
3) Draw Near
4) Cleanse
5) Purify
6) Mourn
7) Humble

APPLICATION: VERSES THAT ACKNOWLEDGE THE WORTHINESS OF GOD

Pray these scriptures to acknowledge God’s greatness:

Psalm 9:1-2
1 I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart;
I will tell of all Your marvelous works.

2 I will be glad and rejoice in You;
I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.


Example:

Father in Heaven, I praise You, O Lord, with all my heart. I want to thank You for the wonders You have done in my life [name a few of the things he has done for you]. You make me glad, so I will sing praises to Your name because You are the Most High God. AMEN (Then you might even sing a praise song to God!)

In closing, pray this verses in your own words.

Psalm 56
3 Whenever I am afraid,
I will trust in You.

4 In God (I will praise His word),
In God I have put my trust;
I will not fear.
What can flesh do to me?

0 comments:

Sermons