Friday, November 28, 2008

A Black Friday for Sure

Well, sadly, Black Friday appears to be appropriately named. I am appalled by what happened at a Wal-Mart in New York. A man was killed by a frenzied mob rushing in to buy discounted televisions and other entertainment devices. As he lay dying on the floor, people just stepped over him.

My father-in-law witnessed the same type of chaos at his local Wal-Mart. He was the first in line for a X-Box 360. When they were allowed to go in, a rush of people pinned a young lady to a pallet. My father-in-law was busy trying to help her and keep her from being crushed. Someone literally leaped a shopping cart to grab the last one. He didn't get the video game unit, but he came away so distressed he could barely breathe.

Why can people be so mean and selfish? In the Bible, James write the answer to this question.

Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.--James 4:1-3, NKJV

I made it to a GameStop about 30 miles from my house by 9:15. That was early enough. I bought a used PlayStation 2 for my son. I'm not going to risk my life for an entertainment device.

0 comments:

Sermons