Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Journey from the Threshing Floor

Last month, during the Mississippi Baptist Convention, Mickey Dalrymple, current MBC President, preached during the opening session. He shared a touching story about his family background. Bro. Mickey is from Northern Alabama. A distant cousin of his committed a violent crime that rocked the community. As a consequence of the horrific event, the family name was defiled. As a child, many times he could hear people whisper as he passed, “He’s one of those Dalrymples."

Even though he came from a humble and challenging background, Mickey Dalrymple has been used by God to pastor Fairview Baptist Church in Columbus, MS. The church is thriving under his leadership.

Last Sunday, I preached a message based on Judges 6:11-24. When I read Gideon's excuse for not serving as delivery for Israel, I think of how God has used many men from non-ideal backgrounds. Gideon said to the Angel of the Lord, “O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.” God has a habit of using the "least" to accomplish great things.

As you read Judges 6:11-24, observe the change in Gideon's commitment.

I. The Appearance of the Angel of the LORD (11-14)

1. A Surprising Commendation (11-12)

And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him, and said to him, “The LORD is with you, you mighty man of valor!”

2. A Stinging Complaint (13)

Gideon said to Him, “O my lord, if the LORD is with us, why then has all this happened to us?

3. Shocking Command (14)

Then the LORD turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. Have I not sent you?”

II. The Apprehension of Gideon (15-16)

1. A Shriveling Confidence (15)

I am the least in my father's house.

2. A Stabilizing Comfort (16)

And the LORD said to him, “Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat the Midianites as one man.”

III. Affirmation of God (17-24)

1. A Startling Confirmation (17-21)

Then the Angel of the LORD put out the end of the staff that was in His hand, and touched the meat and the unleavened bread; and fire rose out of the rock and consumed the meat and the unleavened bread. And the Angel of the LORD departed out of his sight.

2. A Stirring Comprehension (22-24)

Now Gideon perceived that He was the Angel of the LORD. So Gideon said, “Alas, O Lord GOD! For I have seen the Angel of the LORD face to face.”

Conclusion

In the Bible, God used elderly Abraham, stuttering Moses, enslaved Joseph, adulterous David, lying Peter, and former Anti-Christian Terrorist Paul. If he can use these folks, what's you're excuse for not allowing God to use you.

0 comments:

Sermons