Friday, November 07, 2008

Pickled Eggs and Ministry

Since I have lived in Mississippi most of my life, I remember seeing "pickled" items in glass gallon jars sitting on the counters of numerous country stores. Among these snacks are Pickled Pigs Feet, Pickled Pigs Knuckles, Pickled Eggs and Pickled Franks. (To order for Christmas click here.)

Now, I've never tried any of these delicacies. Also, I have never, never, no not ever, seen any one purchase a pickled anything. I guess this is done when no one else is around.

When in Rome, Eat as the Romans

On Tuesday, I had lunch with a fellow pastor who has recently moved to a rural area. My friend is not what you would call "country." He's cool--real cool. So, for me, the story he shared is hilarious.

A short time ago, when paying for fuel he had pumped into his car, my friend took the plunge. He had seen the pickled goodies on the counter many times. Wanting to partake in a cultural experience that he figures many of his members indulge, he decided to buy a pickled egg. He paid for the sodium rich protein and took a bite. He discovered he did not care for eggs that had been soaking in vinegar and brine for several days. Following his taste treat, he experienced a lingering case of indigestion that plagued him for hours.

As he expressed how horrible he thought the egg tasted, I laughed so hard that tears came to my eyes. However, I have an even deeper respect for my pastor-friend than I did previously.

Stressed Taste Buds for Jesus

Paul wrote in one of his letters to the Corinthians that he was willing "to become a slave to all" in order to impact their life with the Gospel. In his day, Gentiles (Non-Jews) and Jews disagreed on what was an acceptable diet. For Paul, he refused to be stubborn in any way that would alienate him from the folks he wished to reach. When with Jews, Paul ate kosher foods that complied with their dietary laws. When he was dining with Gentiles, he ate non-kosher dishes.

I Cor. 9: 22 I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Of course, Paul never wavered on his belief in the power of the Gospel. He never diluted the message. However, he was willing to use methods that did not violate Biblical ethics. He demonstrated that he would do whatever he needed to do to make a difference for Christ.

Walking in Their Shoes

We must be willing to get out of our comfort zones in order to develop relationships with folks who are from dissimilar backgrounds. So, that may mean eating something strange. We may have to sacrifice our likes and dislikes.

In reference to President Lyndon B. Johnson, Clayton Stribling said, "The more someone disliked him, the harder he'd try to be his friend." This is good advice for believers.
I wonder if LBJ ate Pickled Eggs?

0 comments:

Sermons