Friday, December 14, 2007

Steroid Use and Practicing What I Blog

Yesterday, the long-awaited Mitchell Report regarding the use of steroids in Major League Baseball was released. Many MVPs and All-Stars were implicated in the report(Click here for the entire report and Click here for the Associated Press story highlighting the prominent names mentioned.)

Of all the names, I was really disappointed to see Andy Pettitte listed. Pettitte is an influential Christian. He has written an excellent book for boys entitled StrikeZone: Targeting a Life of Integrity and Purity.

Last night, I discussed the report with Scott Bray, our former High School Baseball Coach and one of the members of the church I pastor. Scott, like me, expressed surprise that Pettitte's name was mentioned. Then, he said, "...but, my preacher (me) told me Wednesday night that I needed to 'practice grace.'" I appreciated the reminder.

Wednesday night in our Mid-Week Service (and in this blog entry), I shared a devotion on the life of Joseph, Mary's husband, and his reaction to her pregnancy as described in Matthew 1:18-25. Joseph had every right, according to the custom of the day, to have Mary stoned for committing, what he thought, was adultery. However, as he was "considering these things," an angel came and shared with him the marvelous truth concerning the child conceived in Mary.

So, I'm going to wait and see what happens concerning the allegations regarding Andy Pettitte. I have yet to read his response.

God has used Pettitte in the past and I pray he will continue to do so. At the same time, I'll practice what I preach and blog.

UPDATE: Andy Pettitte did admit using human growth hormone to recover from an elbow injury in 2002. Read the Fox Sports story here. I feel he showed great courage in coming clean and not trying to be evasive.

1 comments:

Jimmy Holcomb said...

Philip,

I too will wait for the rest of the story, and even if true I appreciate the reminder of grace.

Jimmy

Sermons