Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ashamed of the Gospel?

When I was a teen, at times I was ashamed to be seen with my parents. I guess I didn't think there were cool enough. Now, I understand how silly that is.

In our Mid-Week Prayer Service, I gave a brief devotion based on Romans 1:16. Paul wrote, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek."

When Paul stated "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ," he wasn't just blowing smoke. He had earned the right to make such a statement. Paul was beaten and arrested and ridiculed and estranged for his unbridled zeal in seeing that the "Good News" about God's plan to redeem the world was spread.

I believe 3 reasons for his unabashed commitment are found in this short verse.

First, he was not ashamed of the Gospel because it is powerful. Paul had experienced a dramatic conversion on the Road to Damascus. He was transformed from a Christian Hater into a follower of Jesus. The word for "power" in this verse is the same word from which we get our English word "dynamite." The Gospel is explosive and Paul had experienced its overwhelming power.

Second, Paul was not ashamed of the Gospel because it was the "power of God to Salvation." Paul understood that acceptance of the Gospel is God's saving plan. We all have a sin problem and, through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, God provides the free gift of salvation, which is the remedy to our sin problem.

Third, Paul was not ashamed of the Gospel because it is for everybody. Everyone needs to accept the truth of the Gospel. Since Paul knew no one was exempt from needing a relationship with Jesus, he never wanted to hide the truth of the Gospel from them.

So, we should never apologize for or think we should hide the Gospel of Christ, because it is powerful, transforming, and available to all.

0 comments:

Sermons