Monday, April 28, 2008

Being Faithful in an Unsettled Life

Well, I'm finally getting to a book I've wanted to read for several weeks. Comeback Churches by Ed Stetzer and Mike Dodson was released last year. The book is based on the research of 324 churches that were stagnant or in decline. However, these churches were able to make the changes needed, and, with spiritual leadership, these congregations began to grow.

One quote that has already challenged me comes from Jean Fleming, who said, "I find myself thinking, When life settle down I'll...But I should have learned by now that life never settles down for long. Whatever I want to accomplish, I must do with life unsettled."

A close examination of the life of Jesus reveals that He was constantly responding to interruptions. However, Jesus placed a priority on people and His relationships. So, he was always dealing with distractions and he dealt with them in love. Yet, nothing distracted Him from His ultimate purpose in life.

Are you like me? There are many things that I want to accomplish for the Lord. However, life is moving so fast that, if I'm not careful, I can put off what is important--waiting for a better time. While the scriptures tell us to "wait upon the Lord," many times we wait for the Lord to give us more instructions, when he has always given us all the instructions we need. He told us in Matthew 28:18-20 to "Go and make disciples." So, if my schedule does not have plans to accomplish these marching orders on the priority list, I'm not fulfilling God's will for my life.

So, what are we (am I) waiting for? Life is never settled. We must accomplish God's will for our lives in the midst of activities that move by at the speed of a jet. Just take a step of faith and see what God does. His life is never unsettled.

0 comments:

Sermons