Friday, April 18, 2008

Things Too Profound

Today, a movie is being released in almost 1000 theatres that I believe should be seen by all believers. Ben Stein is starring in a documentary entitled Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. The film exposes the systematic suppression of any evidence, or even discussion, related to "Intelligent Design" by Big Science.

A general summary of the documentary, retrieved from the movie's website, states: Ben realizes that he has been “Expelled,” and that educators and scientists are being ridiculed, denied tenure and even fired – for the “crime” of merely believing that there might be evidence of “design” in nature, and that perhaps life is not just the result of accidental, random chance.

Let's Be Honest

Wednesday night, in our prayer service, I gave a devotion based on Psalm 131.

1 LORD, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty.
Neither do I concern myself with great matters,
Nor with things too profound for me (Psalm 131:1, NKJV).


The psalmist expresses two important approaches to viewing the world and it's origin. First, we must look at the weighty and complicated issues of life with Intellectual Humility. David realized that some questions will never be answered by human reasoning and research. We too should not be afraid to answer, "I don't know" to certain questions, especially regarding the creation of universe. Some truths we will never know.

Second, we must view our world with Intellectual Honesty. When some scientists claim that life came out of nothing, they are making a statement that goes against all logic and physical laws. Nothing begats nothing. The DNA found in cells holds an incredible amount of information. How did the information get into the DNA? I don't know, but ascribing this complicated biological design to chance goes against logic. Computers don't just randomly fit together as the result of a strong wind. They are engineered and assembled by an intelligent designer.

So, for me, while I believe education based on sound science is important, I am content to be a person of faith in some areas.

I am content to sing with David the words he wrote in another psalm,
"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well (Psalm 139:14)."

0 comments:

Sermons