Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Death of a Prominent SBC Pastor


Forrest Pollock, 44, Senior Pastor of Bell Shoals Baptist Church in Brandon, FL, was killed in a plane crash. The church's website reports that at approximately 11 AM this morning search and rescue teams found the aircraft of Pastor Forrest Pollock in the mountains outside of Asheville, North Carolina. Pastor Pollock and his son Preston, 13, did not survive the crash. His son, Preston, was one of six children.

Pollock gave the nominating speech for Frank Page at the 2006 Southern Baptist Convention in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was present when he gave the speech and was impressed with the zeal in which he spoke. He was an ardent support of the Cooperative Program, which is designed to support the ministries of Southern Baptists.

Watch a video of his sermon The Blessing of Brokenness here.

2 comments:

Mark Williams said...

This just breaks my heart. You and I know, as fathers, that our time with our children is very precious. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

Philip Price said...

Mark, I met Forrest Pollock in Greensboro during the SBC in 2006. I really was impressed with him. His death has been on my mind and heart ever since I heard the tragic news. For me, I can't imagine how his wife and remaining children feel.

Sermons