Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It Should Not Surprise Me

To me, one of the most miraculous and amusing passages in the Bible is found in Acts 12: 5-19.

Peter had been placed in prison. His life was in danger. So, a group of believers gathered to have an intensive time of prayer to pray for his release. While they were praying, an angel came to Peter and led him from the prison.

At first, Peter thought he was seeing a vision, but, after being led near the gathering of believers, the angel left him. Next, Peter knocked on the gate of the home in which the believers were praying. A young girl went to the gate and, when she saw it was Peter, she ran and told everyone that he was at the gate.

In response to the young girl's announcement, those present told her she was crazy. When she repeated the news, they said, “It is his angel.” Eventually, they went to the gate and were astonished to discover Peter was really there.

Peter spoke with them briefly and instructed them to "Go, tell these things to James and to the brethren.” Then, Peter left.

I am amused by the shock of those who were fervently praying for Peter's release. Why were they so surprised?

Well, yesterday, I had an experience that shocked me, but, after I thought about what had happened, I realized I was simply experiencing an answer to my prayers.

Almost two weeks ago, I posted (read it here) my intent to pray Matthew 9:38 for our mission trip to Baltimore and for our church. Since that time, God has answered this prayer by providing for the mission trip and for the ministry of the church. The last two Sundays, I know of at least two instances in which I believe individuals have been led to commit to serve Him. However, none of these were as shocking as yesterday.

I don't feel at liberty to share all the details, but a man who, since I moved to Leakesville, has been a good friend of mine sent word for me to visit him. He has had some health problems and has been unable to attend church. In response to his request, I went to his home. He shared some encouraging words and, then, he said, "I'm coming to church Sunday and I want to serve the Lord. If there's anything I can do, just let me know."

God answers prayer. As recorded in Matthew 9:38, we should pray "the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” What an encouragement it has been to see him answer this prayer. He provide for His harvest.

0 comments:

Sermons