Thursday, May 08, 2008

Tech Wonders Cause Me to Wonder

Yesterday, Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent for The Times in London, discussed an amazing application of wireless technology. His article began with these pronouncements:


The Blue Tooth wireless technology that allows people to use a hands-free earpiece while making a mobile telephone call could soon alert the emergency services when someone has a heart attack, Ofcom predicts.

The communications regulator said that sensors could be implanted into people at risk of heart attack or diabetic collapse that would allow doctors to monitor them remotely.

If the “in-body network” recorded that the person had suddenly collapsed, it would send an alert, via a nearby base station at their home, to a surgery or hospital.

However, Ofcom also gave warning in its report, Tomorrow’s Wireless World, that the impact of such technology on personal privacy would require more debate.


While I still consider myself relatively young at the ripe old age of 43, technological advances have, at times, facilitated ponderings of my childhood days that leave me feeling rather antiquated.

My parents did not purchase a color television until I entered college in 1983. Not a single term paper or assignment I completed in college was inputted into a computer. Yes, I earned my Bachelor Degree the hard way--I typed my work on a typewriter.

Consequently, when I hear about the ability to place an "in-body" wireless communication device, which can dial 911 if the "body" is in distress, I wonder where will this all end.

Don't get me wrong, anything to save lives is worth investigating. However, I do wonder if such technological safety nets have the capacity to lull us into a false sense of security.

Certainly, there are health issues that can go undetected by the person in the skin of the ailing body. Yet, we must never leave the monitoring of our health to others. Consequently, the focus on technological wonders leads me to wonder how these advances impact our spirituality.

As humans discover ways to communicate and evaluate individual health data at warp speed, have such scientific advances led people to trust in science more than in God?

Recorded in Isaiah 43:7 are words affirming our creation, "Bring all who claim me as their God, for I have made them for my glory. It was I who created them (NLT).’”

We must never forget that, while we can implant tiny microchips or sensors into our bodies to monitor the heart, we cannot create life. Researchers can develop an artificial heart to keep a person alive for a time, but the body's network and the initial heartbeat was birthed by God. Also, only through God's Son, Jesus, can we have the fulfilling life He desires for us.

Life is about more than just heartbeats. We were made for God's glory.

So, my question for you today is what does your Spiritual Heart Monitor report? If your report is flatlined, remember, God is not called automatically. You must make the call.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11, NKJV)."

1 comments:

Jonathan said...

I think it's great with all the technology that man is coming up with, I wouldn't be able to live with out it. But on the other hand, I see that this is resulting in a lesser rely on God.

Sermons