Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Avoiding Discomfort Not Possible

As I was surfing the web, I found an interesting story on Yahoo!. A Mexican boy hated the idea of returning to school after the holiday break so much that he used some industrial glue to adhere his hand to his bed (Read the story here.)

He said that the Holiday Break had been so much fun that he didn't want to go back to school. So, he slathered his hand in glue and stuck himself to his bed. I wonder if he was glad to be at school after the paramedics were called and they freed his hand. What was his punishment? If I had done something like that when I was a kid, I am sure I would not have lived to go to school ever again.

Many people go to great lengths and risks to avoid things which are beneficial, but uncomfortable. Whether it be the dentist, the doctor, the mechanic, or that crotchety teacher, at times we are forced to trade fun for growth and/or healing.

By walking through times of discomfort, outside our comfort zone, we are able to experience the peace and comfort of God. Faith begins where our abilities end. So, we must be glad that everyday is not a Holiday. If all days were easy, we would never understand or value the blessing of God's comfort.

In II Corinthians 1:3-5 (Read the verses in context here.), Paul underscores the fact that God comforts us in our struggles through the power demonstrated in the victory Jesus won after his struggles. Then, we can comfort others with the same comfort we experienced from God.

Last year, I heard a pastor of a large congregation share that he would only hire Church Staff Members who had been through some pain or difficulty in life. He felt that these individuals would be able to relate to the many hurting people in the congregation. This is the truth in Henri Nouwen's book The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society.

In 1998-1999, I enrolled in a year of Clinical Pastoral Eduction (CPE) with the MacFarland Institute in New Orleans. I was an Oncology Chaplaincy Resident at the former Baptist Hospital in New Orleans. We engaged in group discussions and confrontations designed to force us to deal with our problems. Again, the premise being that in order for a chaplain to help others he/she must understand why uncomfortable emotions arise in certain situations. These emotions may hinder a minister from being totally present for a distressed individual.

Also, in CPE, I encountered chaplains of other faiths, which really helped me confirm my own spiritual beliefs. As a conservative baptist, I was challenged, and even ridiculed, at times for my doctrinal stands. However, the challenges help me grow as a minister.

For me, at times, I have avoided addressing certain disappointments and losses of the past, which only grew more difficult to handle as time passed. As the mechanic said in a commercial of the past, "Pay me now or pay me later." Regular car maintenance is more economical in the long run than neglecting routine maintenance. Putting off the inevitable "life maintenance issues" does not stop the unavoidable moments of truth we all encounter.

Gluing your hand to the bed, or stuffing your emotions, does not keep you from facing tough decisions and growth opportunities. Eventually, you will be forced to make a decision. So, go ahead and roll out of bed and head to the "School of Hard Knocks." The Class Bell of this school rings everyday. So, don't be tardy.

0 comments:

Sermons