Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wrapping My Mind Around the Mystery of God

Whenever I think of creative and nutty names for a band, "Big Daddy Weave" tops the list. The band has been around in Contemporary Christian Music since about 2002. Mike Weaver, the lead singer, was a student at the University of Mobile at one time. Thus, the group is immensely popular in the Mobile, AL, area. In early 2002, the group presented a concert at Wade Baptist Church (only 25 miles West of Mobile). The church was packed. So, it is a blessing for me to follow their ministry.

They have a song entitled "For Who You Are." I listened to the song this morning as I walked. The words were a blessing to me.

You are the Lord, The Father of Lights
You are God the Keeper of my heart
And I praise You, and I praise You
You are the lover of my soul
You are the giver of the second start
And I praise You, for who You are

It seems too high for me to reach
To wrap my mind around the mystery
That who You are so constantly
Is who You're making me to be

To "wrap my mind" around the many mysteries of God is a pursuit that I will never complete, but how I long to know God deeper.

The psalmist wrote, "My heart and flesh cry out for the living God (Ps.84:2)." That is truly a longing that I have this morning. I have heard it said that in every heart is a "God-shaped void" that only He can fill.

I've known folks who have sought to fill that void with many things, but only God fits into that empty spot of our lives.

On this wet, cool morning, my prayer is that I can begin to understand--to wrap my mind around--the greatness of God. He deserves my attention this morning and this afternoon and this evening. I want to be who he is making me to be. What about you?

0 comments:

Sermons