Sunday, January 20, 2008

Snow in South Mississippi




Since I was raised in North Mississippi, I remember only an occasional snowfall. I loved snow days. Once, a blizzard passed through our home county and snow fell for only about fifteen minutes. School was cancelled for an entire day.

Here in South Mississippi, snow is very rare. Yesterday, meteorologists predicted the white stuff would visit Leakesville, but the frozen flakes never came. However, in Laurel, MS, an estimated 2 3/4 inches accumulated. My friend, Glenn, sent me the above pictures. My mom and dad said about 2 inches fell in Magee, MS.

While we lived in Anchorage, Alaska, we saw a lot of snow. We not only had a White Christmas, but we had a white Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Easter.

There really is nothing more pristine than a fresh layer of snow. In Anchorage, as Spring approached the ice and snow would begin to thaw. The melted snow turned into a filthy slush. Yet, many mornings we would awaken to a fresh blanket of snow. The scene was so beautiful, freah, and new.

In Psalm 51:7, David pleads with the Lord, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." In John's Vision, he described Jesus by writing His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire (Revelation 1:14, NKJV).

Only through with the forgiveness of God can we be "white as snow."

0 comments:

Sermons