Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Plaid Pants Are Not Eternal


We are planning a special celebration for my Grandmother's 90th Birthday. So, we have collected several photos from "days gone by" to develop a special presentation at the party. My brother brought me some of the pictures and one of them is above. This picutre was taken on Easter 1973, when we lived in Popular Springs, MS.

You thought you looked good in plaid, but no one in the universe has anything on me in the polyester pants category. (Also, how about that Dodge Dart in the background. Back then you could "fill 'er up" for $5.00.) Fortunately, I retired the plaid pants many years ago, but don't you think they accented the color of my eyes?

Styles change. Plaid pants are out. White patent leather shoes, like I'm sporting in the above photo, are a thing of the past. Ask Pat Boone about changing styles.

The Bible says, "For I am the LORD, I do not change;... (Malachi 3:6)." God is not impacted by fads, climate changes, political wranglings, nuclear threats, or even stock market fluctuations. He does not change.

In a changing world God is an unchanging reality.

S. M. Lockeridge once preached,

Well, my King is a King of knowledge. He's the wellspring of wisdom. He's the doorway of deliverance. He's the pathway of peace. He's the roadway of righteousness. He's the highway of holiness. He's the gateway of glory. He's the master of the mighty. He's the captain of the conquerors. He's the head of the heroes. He's the leader of the legislatures. He's the overseer of the overcomers. He's the governor of governors. He's the prince of princes. He's the King of kings and He's the Lord of lords. That's my King.

List the many things that have changed in the last decade. Now, list the characteristics of God. So, place your trust in the unchanging God.

PRAYER

Dear Lord, Thank you for never changing. You are still the God who created the universe, led the Israelites in the Wilderness, shut mouth of the Lion for Daniel, and you're the same God who "So loved the world that He Gave His only begotten son." Help me to change into a follower of Jesus who is guided by your eternal truths and not impacted by the fads of the day. In your unchanging name I pray. AMEN

0 comments:

Sermons