Sunday, January 27, 2008

Leaving Early

For Christmas, my brother-in-law, Greg, gave me two tickets to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL, which was played yesterday. This was the 59th Annual game and is considered the best showcase for college players who will be selected in the National Football League Draft.

I invited Boo White to go with me. The weather was horrible. The temperature was in the 40's and a drizzling rain fell most of the game. The stadium was filled with fans and the Million Dollar Band from the University of Alabama played. Metal bleaches are a good conduit of cold and the seat became very uncomfortable in short order.

Early in the 4th Quarter, the North Squad scored and ran the tally to 16-7. So, Boo and I decided to leave. We had parked at Hank Aaron Stadium and rode a shuttle bus. By the time we made it back to my car, less than a minute remained in the game. We listened to the radio broadcast as the South Squad won the game 17-16 on the final play. We left too early.

That's just my luck, but I'm not too upset about it. However, I must make sure that I don't give up on more important things.

My sermon this morning was from the passage, II Corinthians 8:1-9.

When Paul wrote the Corinthians, he encouraged them to have the same level of commitment as the churches in Macedonia (Philippi, Thessalonica, and Berea). The churches faithfully gave to support the impoverished church of Jerusalem. Corinth had agreed to support the Jerusalem Christians, but, for whatever reason, they had failed to fully complete their commitment.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "But as you abound in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all diligence, and in your love for us—see that you abound in this grace also (II Corinthians 8:7, NKJV)." He challenged them not to give up.

Lately, what good goal or worthy pursuit has God challenged you to complete? Have you abandoned your commitment in that pursuit? How's your New Year's Pledge going?

Don't give up. The finish is going to be fantastic.

Check out the stories from the Senior Bowl here.

0 comments:

Sermons