Thursday, January 17, 2008

"Today"

But encourage one another day after day,
as long as it is still called "Today."--Hebrews 3:13 (NASB)


Lately, I have heard a lot of discouraging news from the local media. It is not that they are trying to depress anyone, but they have had to report several horrific murders in our area. One incident in particular gives me a sick feeling every time I hear it.

Last week, a father--in a drug induced stupor and angry at his wife--drove to the Daulphin Island Bridge near Mobile, AL, and threw his 4 children off the high-rise bridge. (Read the latest here.) I find myself almost numb as I even write about such an evil act.

However, I am thankful that, as I slide toward the "blues," someone comes and encourages me with a kind word or they show me they care by doing something thoughtful for me.

Yesterday, I had one of our senior adult ladies on my mind. She is a widow and has been sick for several days. I last saw her before Christmas. At that time, she was in the hospital. After she was discharged, she went to stay with her son in the northern part of our state. I saw her brother yesterday morning and he told me she was in town for a few days, but would be going back to be with her son today. So, I made a note to visit her.

As the day unfolded, many things demanded my attention. Frequently, the thought popped in my head, "You've got to make that visit." Finally, around 4:00 PM, I stopped what I was doing and said to myself, "Self, you're going." So, I called her. She was home and said, "Come on over." I went. The visit did so much for my spirits. She spoke encouraging words like I haven't been able to hear from the media. I am so glad I went.

In God's Little Devotional Book for Couples, I found this insightful statement:
You cannot show a kindness too soon,
because you never know how soon it will be too late!


The writer of Hebrews challenged us to "encourage...as long as it is still called 'Today.'"

Therefore,...
Write a long overdue note to a friend.
Tell someone you love them.
Sit down and play "cars" with a little boy.
Sit down and play "dolls" with a little girl.
Turn the T.V. off and just talk to your family.
Say "Thank You" to someone who has invested in your life.
Read your Bible.
Pray for your family.

Do it.

As Steve Miller used to sing amid the static from my old record player, "Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future." Today will not be today, tomorrow.

Encourage one another.

0 comments:

Sermons