Monday, January 14, 2008

Insulting God

One Sunday afternoon, after devouring a delicious meal, a tired husband informed his wife he was going to take a nap. She responded dejectedly, “Won’t you stay up and spend time with me.” The weary husband responded, “Honey, I am so sleepy.” Then, the forlorn wife asked, “Well, do you love sleep more than me?” After a long pause, the husband answered, “Let me take a nap and I’ll let you know.”

Yesterday, I preached from the Old Testament Book of Malachi. This last book of the Old Testament provides a bridge into the New Testament. While we know virtually nothing about the writer of “Malachi,” the tone of the letter is bold and, at times, severe. Understandingly, Bro. Malachi was strong in his charges because the people were headstrong in sin.

The people of Israel had become unappreciative of all that God had done for them as His chosen people. While they participated in ritual observances, their practices were not rooted in a desire for holiness. From Malachi 1:1-3:15, the writer recorded the Lord’s charges against Israel, the pompous replies of the people, and His threatened judgments. The charges against Israel can be boiled down to eight major sins.

A. Impudence (1:1-5)- Asking God “When did you ever love us?”
B. Irreverence (1:6-14)-Practicing sacrilege by the priests.
C. Insincerity (2:1-9)- Practicing corruption by the Priests
D. Infidelity (2:10-16)- Observing Divorce and Marriages with Non-Jews.
E. Insolence (2:17)- Insulting God, claiming he was not just.
F. Indifference (3:7)- Backsliding, Turning away from God
G. Ingratitude (3:8-12)- Withholding God’s tithe.
H. Impertinence (3:13-15)- Proclaiming false charges against God.

Amid all the outrageous charges against God, the most shocking question the people asked God is in Malachi 1:2:

“I have loved you,” says the LORD.
“Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?

If I was God (and be glad I’m not), my response would have been to yell back their contention, “In what way have I loved you?!!!!!!!!!!”

The nation of Israel had been led out of Egypt following a series of miraculous plagues. He guided them through the Red Sea by parting the waters. He provided food and water for them. He helped them win astounding victories over their enemies, including causing the walls of Jericho to fall by simply marching around the city. He proved His love for them over and over (and over and over) again, but they still had the toxic “What-have-you-done-for-me-lately” Syndrome.

Have you made a list of the ways God has shown you love in the past? Well, maybe you should?

While enrolled in the Ph.D. program at New Orleans Baptist Seminary, I remember hearing one practice of successful couples that helped strengthen their marriage. Strong couples spend time rehashing their “love story.” Frequently, they talk about the first time they met, their first date, their first kiss, and their other most memorable moments. By reminding themselves of the good times they have shared, strong couples are able to find strength to move through the inevitable rough spots.

Just like the people of Israel seemed to have a short memory in regard to God’s faithfulness and love, we can become disillusioned, if we don’t regularly call to mind the many ways we have been blessed.

I once heard Jimmy Draper say something to the effect that the problem with most Christians is that they have forgotten what their life was like before they were “born again.”

Frequently, I go back to the time as a young boy I felt a great conviction over my sin. After struggling for some time, I prayed and asked for forgiveness. I don’t want to ever forget the love I was shown when the burden of that sin was lifted from me.

0 comments:

Sermons