Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cut By A Knife

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my doctor concerning the health problems that occurred a few weeks ago. I was thrilled to hear him say, "I don't think we need to do surgery." While he does want me to come back in two weeks, he was affirming on many different respects of my progress.

For about 3 months before I found myself in the Emergency Room, wrything in pain, I had failed to take the prescribed medicine and drink reasonable amounts of water. However, since that eventful weekend, I have not missed a day following the prescribed regimen. Without the pain, I would not have become so attentive to my health. Yesterday, my blood pressure was 112/73. That's as low as it has been in a long time.

That reminds me of a story I recently read in a book by Johnny Hunt.

Imagine that you had a son that moved to a large city. After a few weeks, you receive word that your son was cut by a knife. Yet, he is resting comfortably in a hospital bed. Next, you are told that the individual that cut your son was one of his new friends. You are outraged. Then, you are given the rest of the story.

Your son befriended a respected doctor upon moving to his new home. One evening as your son was dining with his friend, his appendix ruptured. The doctor (friend) quickly diagnosed the problem. He transported your son to the hospital and performed surgery. Yes, he did cut your son, but, if he had not, your son would have died. The wound inflicted was painful, but life-giving.

In James 1:2-4, we are told that the testing of our faith produces patience. Without troubles and challenges, we would not grow stronger in our faith and resolve to persevere for Christ. No pain. No gain. If we allow Him, Jesus uses the trials of life as a scalpel (a surgeon's knife) to cut away those aspects of our lives that hinder us from being spiritually healthy.

Whatever difficulty you are facing today, please allow God to teach you and shape you. The pains of life do make us stronger. So, accept the prescribed treatment from the Great Physician.

1 comments:

Matt Celoria said...

Philip, nice blog. "Parson" sounds very pastoral. Hope things are going well.

Sermons