Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Preaching 101

This morning, if you want a simple description of Biblical preaching, read I Corinthians 2.1-5.

Four words that describe the manner in which Paul preached:

I. Simply (v.1)-

He shelved "eloquence" and favored sharing the simple "testimony of God."

II. Scripturally (v.2)-

The Bible details the redemptive history of God. Paul focused on the life of Christ and the love He demonstrated on the cross.

III. Seriously (v.3)-

Paul was cautious in his delivery. He understood the importance of what he was doing. He was sensitive to the leadership of the Holy Spirit.

IV. Supernaturally (vv.4-5)-

Personally, I am impressed that Paul stated he did not use "persuasive words." Instead, he preached with "a demonstration of the Spirit's power." For me, I have been challenged not to preach messages that just "move people," but I must preach scriptural truths that have "moved me."

Lord, help me to faithfully preach in a manner pleasing to you.

0 comments:

Sermons